Monday, August 22, 2011

opened flowers


 
near-buried in the summer-young hay
with afternoon flits, swallows sounding in the wind
and grain-thieving varmints swimming
in the waves of this four foot tall
field cover, I wondered
what crayon color this was and dozed off
in the liferaft of a do-nothing day.

with each breath, a tide of sweet green air swelled in my lungs.
there is no quelling my thirst for green like this and
I drank deep the prairie vale,
its emerald fluorescence breaking along the moving hillside.
all that I could see before me was immutable, opaque, plate glass green.

I awoke standing (to opened flowers),
a challenge of parasols on fire
in the meadowed embers of the sunset,
and drank heavily through the evening,
washing down the mood-ring sky with these
flamenco blooms, their floral cast, and slowly lost my way
into the dark, azure tarpaulin shade of night.

No comments:

Post a Comment