Saturday, June 25, 2011

blacktop circus

I hitch-hiked several cross-country trips in the '70's and '80's from Iowa to Boston; Iowa to San Diego, and this poem is an example of one of my first rides. it was indeed 'an experience': a carnie driving a trailer of circus animals, but nonetheless, it was meeting people by the generosity of their hearts and their curiosity to the human experience. I sadly fear those days of trust are gone ...


at the end of my last year of college
with a burning scalp in the sun and the itch
of highway freedom at 55 miles an hour, I stood there with
a stupid smile and my earth shoes planted in the
gravel like one of the burma shave signs
on the side of the road, pointed east.

no map.

I was counting on the like-minded kindness
of drivers pointed in the same direction as
my thumb and one guy stopped with a semi packed full of
elephants, I was aimless; he was
curious; and he asked me
“what about the circus?”

he had a Bozo weeble-wobble compass on his dashboard
and a picture of his girlfriend in full greasepaint, dusting
an emmet kelly five-oclock shadow, and I thought
about it … then I thought about all that shit
behind an elephant and
me with a shovel too small so i said

no.

I waved goodbye in Davenport then
wanted ‘yes’ for all the rest of my brass
carousel ride through life. but what a story
all those beasts and carnies, cargo trailers, ropes
and canvas tentpegs beaten into the ground,
zipped from lonely town to town,
split by KMarts and
their blacktop, whiteline parking lots.

I thought, “not now, the ride will do me just fine.”
and i could safely boast at
parties how I
almost joined the circus.

1 comment:

  1. Dan, I like how you characterize the towns with Kmart parking lots. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete