Wednesday, June 22, 2011

farther away

my wife and daughter are off to orlando, visiting family (not mickey). i wrote the poem "farther away" a couple of years ago when she had gone to Maine but it is appropriate everytime she travels. for clarification: we have two cats, but only one would ever actually answer the telephone or meet me at the door.


I called from work today to say hello,
like I always do but remembered the kids
were away at camp and you were
still visiting friends in Maine.
I call everyday because it balances me and
even today, knowing I could only leave a message
and erase it when I come home. I wanted the
cat to hear it, maybe he would respond to me when I
unlock the front door, maybe greet me in his cat way
and tell me that he heard the phone ring. He could tell me
that you also called to say hello and you were sure
the kids were fine,
and that you missed me while
you were having fun, somewhere else
farther away than I can ever walk.



1 comment: